Work/Job Training

08/04/2017 (mm/dd/yyyy)


When you enter a company to work, you will receive a work contract (keiyakusho) or notification of terms of employment (rodoujouken tsuuchisho), in which the details concerning your salary, hours of work and so on, are stated.

Please make sure to receive this document from your company before you start work.

If there is anything that you do not understand on your work contract, please seek advice at your nearest Labour Standards Supervision Office. ( English, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Korean Tagalog, Indonesian and Vietnamese languages available)

Contents of work contract or notification of terms of employment

  • Period of work (starting date and finishing date)
  • Place of work and work content
  • Hours of work (starting and finishing times, break time, days off, overtime)
  • Amount of salary, method of receiving salary and payday date
  • Conditions for leaving the work company

Hello Work (Public Employment Security Office)

Persons seeking employment should go to their nearest Hello Work.

Job consultations and work introduction services are available at Hello Work. This service is free.

Hello Work with foreign language consultations are also available.

パスポートと 在留カードを もっていってください。

There are 20 Hello Work offices in Shizuoka Prefecture, open from Monday~Friday, from 9:00am~5:15pm (the Hello Work offices marked with a ◯ are also open evenings, and in during the daytime on Saturdays and Sundays).

Shimoda, Mishima, Ito, ◯ Numazu, Gotemba, ◯ Fuji, Fujinomiya, ◯ Shimizu, Shizuoka, ◯Plaza Shizuoka, Yaizu, Shimada, Haibara, Kakegawa, Iwata, Iwata Station Government Office Building, ◯Hamamatsu, Hamamatsu Out Tower Government Office Building, Hosoe, Hamakita.

Hello Work foreign employment service counter (foreign language service available)


Labour conditions

Working hours

Working hours are up to 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.

Break periods are decided by law.

If you work more than 6 hours per day, you are entitled to a break of more than 45minutes.

If you work more than 8 hours per day, you are entitled to a break of more than 60 minutes.

Days off

Days off are decided by law.

You are entitled to one day off per week and 4 days off per every 4 weeks.

Wages (salary, bonus etc.)

Companies must pay employees salary on a set day every month.

Companies are also required to give employees a payslip.

A payslip is a document with the number of hours you have worked, the salary you receive and any deductions made, written on it.

Minimum wage is decided according to the region you live in.

Companies which do not pay their employees at least the minimum wage, are in violation of the law.

Labour Insurance

Unemployment Insurance (koyou hoken)

Persons covered by unemployment insurance, can receive money for daily life in the event of becoming unemployed, until they find their next job.

Please enquire at Hello Work, for more details.

Worker's Compensation Insurance (roudou hoken)

Companies are covered by Worker's Compensation Insurance.

In the case of injury, illness or death due to work, one is eligible to receive compensation money from Worker's Compensation Insurance.

In order to receive this compensation money, either the employee or company must apply to the Labour Standards Supervision Office.

Health Insurance

All person including foreigners living in Japan must have health insurance.

Please apply for health insurance at your company.

Persons not covered by health insurance, should apply for national health insurance.

Welfare Pension Insurance (kousei nenkin hoken)

Persons between the ages of 20~59 years of age, must enter the pay pension money.

Please apply for Welfare Pension Insurance at your company.

Dismissal and resignation

In the case of a company no longer requiring an employee to work(firing), this is called dismissal (kaiko).

Companies must provide sufficient reason for dismissal of an employee.

If you feel you have been unfairly dismissed from a company, please seek advice from the Labour Standards Supervision Office or a lawyer.

In the case of a person deciding to quit their job, either of their own accord or after having discussed it with their company, this is called resignation(taishoku).

You cannot suddenly quite your job.

You must inform your company, at least one month in advance.

In the event of a company going bankrupt

In the event of you not receiving salary due to your company going bankrupt, you are eligible to receive aid from the government.

Please enquire at the Labour Standards Supervision Office.

Foreigners Technical Intern Training Program

Foreigners on a Technical Intern Training Program must abide by Japanese Labour Standards Law.

Technical Training Program interns, come to,Japan to study about work skills and methods.

Technical Training Program interns and the company that they intern at, have a contract of training and employment.

Companies that have accepted Technical Training Program interns, will ensure that the interns are able to complete their study and training, and return to their countries.

If there are any changes in working hours or salary, the company must explain that to the interns.

Companies are also required to explain to interns, in the case of losing their place of work.

Companies will then find a new place of work for the interns.

If you have any queries regarding the following, please consult your nearest Foreign Workers Consultation Corner

  1. Have not received salary
  2. Salary is very low
  3. You have become injured at work, but have not received money for medical care or required time off
  4. Your company keeps your bank account book
  5. You need to ask your company's permission each time you go out ( you are unable to go out freely)

Japan's Labour Standards Laws

  • Labour Standards Law (roudou kijunhou)
    Laws concerning work conditions involving salary and work hours, days off, break time, dismissal, paid vacation, dormitories (accommodation)
  • Minimum Wage Law (saiteichingin-hou)
    Laws concerning minimum wage
  • Insustrial Sagety and Health Law (roudou anzen esei hou)
    Laws concerning employees health and safety
  • Worker's Accident Compensation Insurance Law (roudousha saigai hoshou hoken hou)
    Laws concerning compensation for injury, illness or death due to work
  • Other
    laws concerning unemployment insurance, health insurance, national health insurance, welfare pension insurance and national pension

Consultation services concerning work, available for foreigners working in Japan