07/01/2016 (mm/dd/yyyy)

Who joins the pension?

All persons between the ages of 20-60, living in Japan, enter the National Pension(kokumin nenkin ).

What is the National Pension?

Upon entering the kokumin nenkin National Pension, you make a monthly premium payment(hokenryou) into your pension.

You will then be eligible to receive a set living allowance/pension,

in the case of retirement or when you are not able to work due to illness or injury.

どうして 年金を 払うんですか?

If you do not pay a pension premium, you will not be eligible to receive money, or the amount of money you receive will be reduced, when you are no longer able to work.

Types of pension

National Pension (kokumin nenkin)

All persons between the ages of 20-60 years of age, must apply to the Nationl Pension.

Persons working in a company, must enter both the Welfare Pension(kousei nenkin) and National Pension (kokumin nenkin).

How to enter:

People working for a company will automatically be entered into the kousei nenkin Welfare Pension, by their company, so applying by oneself is not necessary.

People who are not entered into the Welfare Pension, please apply at the city hall.

Welfare Pension Insurance (kousei nenkin hoken)

If you work at a company consisting of over 5 employees, you must enter the Welfare Pension, in addition to the National Pension.

Part time and arbeit(arubaito) workers, must also enter the Welfare Pension, if they work for over a certain amount of hours.

How to enter

Your place of employment will carry out the application for the Welfare Pension your behalf.

If you are not sure as to whether you are entered into the Welfare Pension, please ask your company or the Japan Pension Service.

National Pension lump-sum withdrawal payment (dattai ichijikin), in the event of returning to one’s own country

Foreigners who have quit the Japan National Pension and returning to live overseas, are eligible to receive a lump-sum partial return(dattai ichijikin) of the money they have paid into their Japanese pension.In this case, please make the application for the lump-sum withdrawal payment within 2 years of your departure from Japan.

However, please note that the pension premiums you have paid so far, will be completely dissolved if you receive the lump-sum withdrawal payment from your pension.

You can obtain the application form for the National Pension lump-sum withdrawal payment from your consulate or your nearest social insurance office.

Please ask for more details at your city hall.

Persons eligible for National Pension lump-sum withdrawal payment:

  • People who are not of Japanese nationality.
  • People who have paid premiums into the National Pension or Welfare Pension, for over 6 months.
  • People who have never been qualified to receive pension benefits or Disability Allowance(shougai teatekin).
  • People no longer residing in Japan.

Documents required in order to obtain National Pension lump-sum withdrawal payment:

  • Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment Arbitration Bill(dattai ichijikin saiteiseikyusho) –this can been downloaded from the Japan Pension Service website.
  • A copy of your passport, including the pages that show the date of your departure from Japan, your name, date of birth, nationality, signature, and visa status.
  • The name of your bank, bank branch and its address, your bank account number and documents to prove that it is your bank account.
  • Your pension booklet(nenkin techou).

For any enquiries regarding pension, please refer to the Shizuoka Prefectural Pension Office

the Shizuoka Prefectural Pension Office (静岡県の年金事務所)